Students at Hillsmeade Primary School have the opportunity to share the experience of learning in the area of Visual Arts. The Visual Arts curriculum has four defined areas which include:
- Explore and Express ideas
- Visual Arts Practices
- Present and Perform, and
- Respond and Interpret
The Visual Arts program is designed to encourage and challenge our students to achieve their artistic potential within the creative, engaging and supportive environment of the art room.
Students from Prep to Year 6 receive a semester of Visual Arts instruction, alternating with Music the following semester.
In Visual Arts, students learn to:
- Develop their artistic skills and techniques in a variety of 2D and 3D areas including painting, drawing, printmaking, sculpture and collage
- Explore a range of mediums including; acrylics, pencils, food dye, pastels, charcoal, textiles, clay and Modroc,
- Develop an understanding of the Elements and Principle of Art
- Develop the ability to express, represent and communicate ideas in contemporary, traditional and emerging arts forms.
Through the teaching of Visual Arts, the students at Hillsmeade Primary School have the opportunity to ‘develop their creative and expressive capacities by learning about the different practices, disciplines and traditions that have shaped the expression of culture locally, nationally and globally.’ The Visual Arts curriculum ‘contributes to the development of confident and creative individuals and enriches’ (source: Department of Education and Early Childhood Development – Victorian Curriculum 2015)
Students at Hillsmeade Primary School have the opportunity to develop, display and proudly celebrate their talents in the term four Visual Arts Exhibition showcasing their artistic flare. The students’ work is internally displayed throughout the school passageway gallery space throughout the year and concludes with the Hillsmeade Art Show. This is an opportunity for students share their efforts and talents with our school community.