Since 2015, Chinese (Mandarin) has been introduced progressively for our Prep – Year 6 children. Following our school’s multi-dimensional and holistic principles, many areas of the curriculum are connected to the learning of Chinese and the study of Chinese can support other learning. Our Chinese program is:
- Exposing the students to the richness of both western and eastern culture, the literature, and heritage;
- Helping our students to improve their communication skills in listening, speaking, reading and writing;
- Helping our students to develop their creativity and critical thinking skills;
- Enhancing career prospects;
- Contributing to social cohesiveness through better communication and understanding
(Source: Department of Education and Early Childhood Development Languages other than English (LOTE) Domain 2009)
Students learn language basics and the culture through various activities including songs, stories, drama, music and Chinese Kung Fu martial arts.
At Hillsmeade Primary School, we are keen to leverage opportunities to support our students to become global citizens. The acquisition of an additional language and associated intercultural skills enriches our students’ language experience and gives them greater choice when it comes to future study and work.
Recent Posts regarding Mandarin