Miss Wei Wang, also known as Wang Lao Shi (王老师) to Hillsmeade students, has been teaching Mandarin since 2013 and joined the Hillsmeade Specialist Team in 2020. Miss Wang provides engaging and dynamic lessons to students across years prep – 6, dedicating one hour a week over a semester-based program.
”Having joined Hillsmeade in 2020, I bring with me a passion for language education that extends beyond the classroom. I have witnessed the transformative power of language learning, and my greatest joy lies in seeing students confidently interact with me in Mandarin. It is my belief that language is not just a tool for communication; it is a bridge that connects individuals, cultures, and communities. In the multicultural community of Hillsmeade, where new immigrants bring a wealth of linguistic diversity, I see an opportunity to nurture a love for languages that transcends boundaries. My wish is for our students to embrace Mandarin not only as a subject but as a lifelong skill that enhances their global perspective and cultural awareness. As we embark on this language-learning journey together, I look forward to inspiring a passion for languages that will enrich our students’ lives and contribute to the vibrant fabric of Hillsmeade Primary School.”
Curriculum & Learning
The Mandarin program at Hillsmeade Primary School is an integral component of the curriculum, falling under Languages banner. Our program is designed to immerse students in the rich tapestry of the Mandarin language, encompassing listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills. Aligned with the Victorian Curriculum, the program focuses on the following key areas:
• Cultivating Linguistic Awareness: Students develop a foundational understanding of Mandarin, emphasizing character-based language and linguistic aspects.
• Interactive Character Construction Activities: Engaging hands-on activities, such as constructing characters with various materials, deepen students’ grasp of basic Chinese characters before advancing to handwriting sessions.
• Pronunciation Proficiency through Pinyin: The program emphasises mastery of Mandarin pronunciation through the use of Pinyin, the Romanised pronunciation system.
• Vocabulary Reinforcement via Games: Teacher-designed board and online games serve as dynamic tools to reinforce and expand students’ Mandarin vocabulary.
• Conversational Language Mastery: Structured units of work with a strong emphasis on conversational language empower students to express themselves fluently in Mandarin.
• Access to Rich Linguistic Resources: Students are exposed to an array of rich linguistic resources, including bilingual books, online language courses, audio and video materials, language learning games, and cultural materials.
• Immersive Chinese Cultural Activities: Beyond language skills, students participate in diverse Chinese cultural activities, including music, dance, art, cooking, and celebrations, fostering a holistic appreciation for Mandarin and its cultural context.
• Exploration of Migrant Impact through Research: Through guided research projects, students explore the historical and contemporary impacts of Mandarin-speaking communities, promoting a broader understanding of language in a global context.
Our Mandarin Language Program strives to instil a love for language learning, cultural appreciation, and effective communication in every student, aligning with the school’s commitment to providing a well-rounded education.