I’ve been teaching for six years, and in that time, I have taught middle school, Performing Arts and Environmental Science. I love being a specialist teacher and building connections with students from across the whole school. Science and Sustainability are both passions of mine, and I am looking forward to integrating them into the STEM program at HPS. In STEM, students can look forward to projects, research, experiments and finding out how things work. STEM is all about being curious and having an inquisitive mind. I am very much looking forward to learning together in STEM.
Curriculum & Learning
The Victorian Curriculum for STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) for students in Years Prep to Year 6 focuses on developing essential knowledge and skills across these disciplines. Here’s a summary of the key components:
- Students explore natural and physical phenomena, developing scientific knowledge and inquiry skills.
- They investigate living organisms, earth and space, chemical and physical processes, and the interconnections between them.
- The curriculum emphasises the use of scientific methods, experimentation, and critical thinking.
- Students learn to use various technologies and digital tools, understanding their functions and applications.
- They develop computational thinking, coding skills, and problem-solving abilities.
- Emphasis is placed on responsible and ethical technology use and digital citizenship.
- Students engage in design thinking and engineering processes to solve real-world problems.
- They create, test, and improve solutions using principles of engineering and design.
- Collaborative teamwork and creativity are encouraged in engineering challenges.
- The curriculum covers a range of mathematical concepts and skills, including numeracy, algebra, geometry, measurement, and statistics.
- Problem-solving, mathematical reasoning, and communication are integral to the curriculum.
- Students are encouraged to apply mathematics to practical situations.
- STEM education promotes interdisciplinary learning, where concepts from science, technology, engineering, and mathematics are integrated.
- Students are encouraged to make connections between different STEM disciplines and apply their knowledge in holistic ways.
- Cross-curricular projects and activities may be used to foster integration.
- Critical and Creative Thinking:
- The curriculum emphasises the development of critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills.
- Students learn to analyse information, evaluate evidence, and generate innovative solutions.
- These skills are applied across STEM subjects and beyond.
- Practical Application:
- Students are provided with opportunities to apply STEM knowledge and skills to real-world contexts.
- Hands-on experiments, projects, and challenges are integral to the curriculum.
- This practical application helps students see the relevance of STEM in their lives.
Overall, the Victorian Curriculum for STEM in Years Prep to Year 6 aims to foster a strong foundation in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics while promoting critical thinking, problem-solving, and creativity. It encourages students to engage actively in STEM learning, preparing them for future educational and career opportunities.