High-ability programs are essential to the educational landscape at Hillsmeade Primary School. These programs are designed to provide gifted and talented students with the challenges and opportunities they need to reach their full potential.
A growing body of research shows that high-ability students benefit from specialised programs. These programs can help to develop students’ critical thinking skills, creativity, and problem-solving abilities. They can also help students to develop a love of learning and to become confident and self-directed learners.
The Victorian Education Department (DET) recognises the importance of high-ability programs. The DET’s priorities for gifted and talented education include:
- Providing challenging and stimulating learning experiences
- Developing students’ creative and critical thinking skills
- Nurturing students’ self-confidence and motivation
- Ensuring that all students have access to high-quality education, regardless of their ability level
Hillsmeade Primary School is committed to providing high-quality education for all students, including gifted and talented students. The school’s high-ability programs are designed to meet these students’ needs and help them reach their full potential.
Here are some specific examples of how Hillsmeade Primary School supports high-ability students:
- The school offers a variety of enrichment activities, such as academic clubs, STEM competitions, and arts festivals.
- The school provides opportunities for students to work with mentors and participate in research projects.
- The school offers differentiated instruction so that all students can learn at their own pace and level.
- The school strongly focuses on social-emotional learning so that gifted and talented students can develop the emotional intelligence they need to succeed in school and life.
Hillsmeade Primary School is proud to offer the following programs for students:
- Victorian High Abilities Program (VHAP)
- Tournament of Minds (TOM)
- Casey Community of Practice (CoP)
- ICAS Assessment Program