Thank you for visiting Hillsmeade Primary School’s website. I hope you enjoy learning about our wonderful multicultural school, the curriculum we offer, the programs we are implementing as well as the teaching and learning changes that are occurring to improve student outcomes for all children, Kinder to grade 6.
Hillsmeade Primary is a large school in Narre Warren South with a school community of nearly 900 children in grades Prep to Year 6 and a staffing profile of over 80+ teachers, educators and support staff. Our Early Learning Centre is on-site and caters for 3- and 4-year old kindergarten children and long-term day care. We also offer our parent community before, after and vacation school care through our popular Out of School Care Hours Program.
We have commenced our vision to be a KidsMatter school to ensure our children live and learn in a safe and secure learning environment where every member of our community values and supports each other. We have completed the first two components: Positive school community and Social and emotional learning. Our school student leaders have recently qualified as Peer Support Leaders and delivered training to our grade 5 students as they prepare for their final year at Hillsmeade.
Late 2014, significant changes were made in the way our teachers plan their curriculum delivery, collaborate with each other and use evidence-based programs and assessment to inform their teaching and student learning. In 2015, we celebrated improved NAPLAN trend and growth data for our grade 5 cohort and improvements in grade 3 trend data for Reading, Grammar & Punctuation and Numeracy. Implementing the VCOP (Vocabulary, Connectives, Openers, Punctuation)/Big Write framework in 2015 was the first step to ensuring consistency in the way teachers teach writing across our school.
Exciting changes in the past few years have complemented the school’s excellent reputation as a great government primary school for our local children. We offer:
- A School Council committed to improving the literacy and numeracy outcomes for all children at Hillsmeade
- A new leadership team focused on school improvement
- Professional Learning Teams (Prep through to grade 6 and Specialist) creating a distributive leadership model across the school
- A vibrant Arts program through the teaching of Art and Music (including choirs and band)
- An active sporting & PE program with intra- and inter-school competitions
- A broad curriculum ensuring the delivery of the new Victorian Curriculum
- The teaching of Mandarin and a sister school partnership with Changzhou No. 2 Experimental Primary School, China
- A supportive welfare team comprising Student Wellbeing Officer and the Student Support Service Officers provided by the department (Psychologist and Speech Therapist)
- A canteen operated by parent staff and volunteers
- An active Hillsmeade Fundraising Committee with dedicated parents
- Parent helpers in the classroom
- The celebration of our many cultural familial backgrounds
- The introduction of a Breakfast Club, Happy Hub, Play Pod and lunch time activities
- Ongoing maintenance of facilities
Are you considering sending your child to Hillsmeade? Click here for information for prospective families, including school tours.