Mandarin at Hillsmeade Primary School
The Mandarin program at Hillsmeade PS, in line with Victorian Curriculum, provides opportunities for students to:
- Establish linguistic awareness from the perspective of a character-based language.
- Learn about basic Chinese characters through a range of hands-on activities, including constructing characters with paper strips or play dough, prior to handwriting sessions.
- Develop pronunciation skills with the knowledge of Pinyin (Romanised pronunciation system in Mandarin).
- Play various teacher-designed board and online games that help reinforce focused vocabulary.
- Engage in well-structured units of work that have a strong focus on conversational language.
- Participate in a variety of Chinese cultural activities, including music, dancing, art, cooking and celebrations.
- Explore impacts of migrants on Australian history in the past and modern times through guided research projects.