Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) can help students learn the competencies and skills they need to build resilience and effectively manage their emotions, behaviour and relationships with others.
SEL can be identified in five areas:
SEL at Hillsmeade Primary School
SEL is a fundamental part of the Victorian Curriculum and an important part of the Education State Targets to promote happy, healthy and resilient students.
Hillsmeade has a clear purpose and vision to ensure social and emotional learning continues to thrive and grow. Our commitment to SEL, includes:
- Explicit teaching of SEL as part of the weekly learning across all year levels.
- Evidence-based teaching and learning supported by Victorian Curriculum Capabilities, Resilience, Rights and Respectful Relationships and our embedded I RESPECT school values.
- Implementation of the Zones of Regulation, supporting all learners with the skills, strategies and language to manage and regulate their emotions.
- Daily class home group, Circle Time and restorative practices to support positive relationships, sense of belonging and connectedness.
- Implementation of the Be You framework, an initiative supported by Beyond Blue to grow mentally healthy students and communities.
- Leading Teacher in Social and Emotional Learning, partnering with students, staff and families to lead, promote and teach the core competencies of SEL.
- Termly parent workshops to inform, connect and support families in mental health and wellbeing.
- Partnering with external agencies and professionals to support and assist our students, staff and families.
Social & Emotional Learning